Friday, January 8, 2016

The 2015 Silly Nate Blog Pog Recap


     Remember Pogs? It was a game played with trading card-esque pieces resembling the bottle caps from some kind of fruit juice called, POG. It was all the rage for more-or-less a week in the 1990’s and then, all of a sudden, wasn’t. My guess is that everyone finally got all of the pogs they wanted, and then sat back and said to themselves, “Hey! You know what’s MORE fun? ACTUAL games!”

     Nevertheless, I’m a sucker for nostalgia and decided to recap (pun SO intended) the past year with some pogs of my own!


     2015 was a BIG year for me! I was able to go back to Walt Disney World, which was a real treat! I haven’t discussed it much here yet, but I did roll out a few Park Pals which is sort of an every-now-and-then treat for me. You know? Like eating at Long-John Silver’s. 2015 also gave us the seventh installment in the Star Wars saga! I appropriately displayed my enthusiasm with a countdown of Penguin Suits. And speaking of movies, this past year also saw the start of The SillyNate Film Club! I like to randomly yammer on about movies, which can be a little exasperating at times for those closest to me. So I created this ongoing segment where I can yammer here on my blog! You’re welcome!


     I also want to talk about how much fun I had giving a new look to the characters of the late Ken Forsse’s Teddy Ruxpin series. A lot! I had a lot of fun! As I just said, I’m a sucker for nostalgia so cranking these bad boys out goes right up there with playing Fireball Island and blowing the dust out of Nintendo cartridges on the whole ‘Things That Make Me Feel Like a Kid Again’ list. Hopefully you all liked these renditions of mine, because there are some more coming real soon!


     As long as I’m strolling down memory lane, I’ll mention my silly tribute to Jim Cummings and his many wonderful characters that brought joy to my life throughout my childhood and to this day! From the Disney Afternoon, to Looney Tunes, to Winnie the Pooh, I really feel like this guy has made a HUGE difference in the entertainment world and so I decided to share my appreciation for his work the best way I know how… with drawings!


     Last, but not least, (or maybe least. I don’t know. I’m not really ranking things here.) I resolved back in January to draw 50 original characters! This was a big deal for me. Drawing is pretty much, just something I do in my spare time, and more than often, I prefer to devote that time to fan-art… such as everything you’ve seen above.  Most New Year’s resolutions kind of fizzle out by early March, but I’m proud to say that I pulled this one off… and with 51 original characters! That’s one more character than I originally intended, for those of you doing the math. As far as 2016 resolutions go… I dunno… I kind of want to catch the last episode of Downton Abbey. I haven’t put much thought into it beyond that.


     So there you have it! My recap of 2015! I’m not sure how many people actually check this blog of mine, but to those of you that do,… Thanks! Hopefully you enjoy looking at these posts as much as I do making them.  And here’s to 2016 being another Whammer Slammer of a year!

That’s another Pogs reference. It really was a stupid game.

No comments: